Saturday, October 24, 2009

What Fun!

Gosh, we had a fun day today. Woke up at 5:00 this morning when the power went out (and the kids came in) and rewoke at 8:00 to find it still out. Since Saturday mornings are Donut Shop mornings (I do love keeping to a predictable schedule!), I figured we'd fare well for breakfast without needing to open the fridge. Turned out the power was off in our entire part of the state. Every business (even Walmart) was closed. No donuts, no coffee, no nothing. Now that wasn't the start to a fun day. What were we to do?

Bill decided to load us in the car and head south, having heard a rumor that the power was, indeed, still on in NC. A quick 25 minute drive found our hungry family in a small town called Warrenton, which just happened to be hosting a lovely little Fall Festival in the town park. Lots of silly junk, a few talented craftsmen, some local produce, and many nice shops to browse through. After eating a hearty brunch (I had to convince Jon that it was okay to combine breakfast and lunch into just one meal) we wandered about for several hours just enjoying the day. The weather was gorgeous and warm. The leaves are really peaking in color right now, and the wind was blowing them all around as we walked. Jon was certain that they weren't "real" leaves. Just a few treasures we found:
A wildly bright table cloth.
New Pyrex goodies. All bought separately. I think I had a green thing going on today. Madeline cannot use this pitcher, as she was the breaker of the last one I owned.

Can't show you the awesome chocolate we had because we ate it. I think there will be some truffle-making going on tomorrow.

An all around great day, spent with my favorite people.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh that butter dish and the bowl are heaven. great finds

Madeline said...

Ok, in my defence, I didn't know the original pitcher was ice cold. Plus, it had been out of the fridge for a few hours. How was I supposed to know it would crack in half?